Tuesday, September 3, 2013

EGGPLANT CASSEROLE for 20

Last minute menu change. A guest, who was gluten and dairy free, was not going to be happy with a traditional lasagna. So, I put my thinking cap on and did a little last minute shopping.

Standing in the produce aisle It would have been impossible not to notice the pile of bright, purple eggplants. And the price was right. I grabbed an arm full, really, and then picked up a few summer squash and zucchini.

I had a vague idea of what I was going to do, and was making a mental note of what I had back at the schooner, a partial container of pasta sauce, and a few wedges of gluten free corn bread.

After lunch was served I began construction of the casserole. First step was to cut the squash into chunks, and saute them in olive oil. I also diced up 3 onions and added those, along with a tablespoon of oregano.

The eggplant was cut into 1/2 discs, brushed with olive oil, and grilled on the center of the stove. When a nice char developed I flipped them and repeated the process with the remaining pieces.

The eggplant was taking the place of the pasta, and the squash was the filling, I needed a binder.

I pulled out the container of pasta sauce, no meat, and added 10 raw eggs, mixed it up and poured it into the squash mixture, off heat.

In my large lasagna pan I placed a layer of eggplant, then some filling and repeated two more times.

The cornbread was crumbled,  little olive oil was added, and some oregano, then it was spread over the top.

Baked at 400° till the top was golden brown and the center registered 170°

Cool a little before serving.

No comments: