Saturday, August 17, 2013

SPANISH RICE


This was a family favorite growing up.  We could expect to see it a few days after a ham dinner, followed a few days later by a pea soup.  If you do not have leftover ham, then use kielbasa or chorizo.

I am sure that my Mother pulled this out of some magazine some time in the mid 60's.  I would say it was one of the more "Exotic" meals at our table.

2 cups cooked ham, cubed

1 large onion, peeled and diced

1 green pepper, cored and diced

1 red pepper, cored and diced

3 celery stalks, diced

1 tablespoon sweet paprika

1 teaspoon red pepper flakes

2 cans diced tomato

1 cup chicken stock

2 cups white rice

2 tablespoons olive oil

salt to taste



In a heavy bottomed pot saute onion.peppers and celery, along with the paprika and pepper flakes, till soft. Add tomato and chicken stock,  bring to a boil. Add rice and ham, give one quick stir, bring back to a boil and then reduce to a simmer and cook till rice is done to your liking. A real treat is the crusty bits that get stuck to the bottom of the pot.  

P.S. My sister Lois just sent me a message reminding me that Mom would, on occasion, add green olives.



No comments: